secretofariella

Secrets of Lost Words

I also blog over at http://secretsoflostwords.blogspot.ca

Sky Jumpers
Peggy Eddleman
Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice)
Joseph Delaney
Confessions of an Angry Girl - Louise Rozett Read more of my reviews at Secrets of Lost Words.Rating: C+I've seen good reviews of this series from my favorite bloggers saying this is a good high school story. I found this pretty good but there were a few things that I didn't quite like.Rose Zarelli is our protagonist. Her dad died from a war in Iraq and she's been trying to deal with her problems just as she became a high school freshman. From the synopsis, you can see how her life sucks in a bunch of ways. Her dad died, her mom closed off, her brother abandoned her. Then, she crushed on this guy named Jamie Forta, which pissed off this cheerleader. Her friend changed and wants to be a shallow cheerleader and have sex with some jerk. Basically, her life sucks pretty bad.Bullying is something kids deal with everyday. Even a kindergartner gets bullied on the playground. I find that Rozett writes the situations pretty well. While not everyone may be extremely bullied like she was, everyone can relate to what happened to Rose one way or another. The distinct teenage voice helps the writing bring Rose Zarelli to life.I did like those parts but there were a few things I didn't like. I feel like Rose could've tried harder in some of the situations and it might have turned out better. I was also annoyed when Jamie Forta showed up and that's all she could think about. That's just some stuff I tolerated.Confessions of an Angry Girl is a great contemporary I enjoyed. I will get on the sequel soon and see how Rose would deal with being a sophomore.